Saturday, August 14, 2010
Codorus Furnace Phantoms
Hidden along back roads near the Codorus creek lies an industrial treasure from centuries past.
The Codorus furnace was first built in 1756 by William Bennet, on land he acquired from William Penn. Bennet only operated the furnace for 6 years before selling it. The property eventually made it's way into the hands of James Smith. Mr. Smith was a member of the Continental Congress, as well as a signer of the Declaration of Independence, but apparently not very business savvy. After losing $25,000 he also sold the property.
Not all times were hard for the furnace. During the Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812, the furnace supplied the Continental Army with cannons and cannon balls. The furnace also helped to replenish General Washington and his troops dwindling supplies, during their harsh winter at Valley Forge. Surprisingly this small furnace helped to regularly employ 60 men until operations ceased in 1850.
Though not everyone believes all who were in the industry have completely left. Numerous spirit investigators and paranormal groups believe there's still a spiritual presence in the area. Many local passerby's have also spotted a woman in a white dress roaming around the furnace and it's surrounding areas.